- Wednesday 29 June 2011, 8PM at MAWA [611 Main St]
- The Sobey-nominated artist will be in attendance!
- Curated by Clint Enns
- Presented in conjunction with Haven't We Been Here Before?
Currently, Cohene is protected under Fair Dealings in Canada. However, given recent attempts to reform Canada’s copyright laws, Cohene could be recast as a digital outlaw. Artistically and ethically speaking, Cohene does not see these images as private property, but as “basic materials through which we have an obligation to express ourselves and define our individuality.”
Aleesa Cohene has been producing videos since 2001. Her work has shown in festivals and galleries across Canada as well as in Brazil, Germany, the Netherlands, Russia, Scandinavia, Thailand, Turkey and the United States, and she has won prizes at Utrecht’s Impakt Festival and Toronto’s Images Festival. She has participated in artist residencies in Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark. She recently completed a fellowship at the Kunsthochschule für Medien (KHM) in Cologne, Germany.
- Abscess (2001, 10 minutes)
- Absolutely (2001, 10 minutes)
- All Right (2003, 7 minutes)
- Ready to Cope (2006, 7 minutes)
- Suppose To (2006, 7 minutes)
- The Same Problem (2008, 4 minutes)
- Something Better (2008, 8 minutes)